Monday, August 31, 2015

Ebon Month 7: Week 29 and 30

August 31

About ten more days here in Ebon. I have hit my year mark, so less than a year left. I got to take a little Marshallese boat to buy food at Toka. Days are slow but it's better knowing the end is in sight. 

Wednesday Russell and I kadkad'd to the other main island so Ayala and I could have food to eat. It was way cool because the kadkad is a tiny Marshallese tamarack canoe with the main part about a foot and a half wide, so pretty tiny. Usually only one person uses it but the max is two. We rode across the lagoon and it was pretty neat to see Ebon at a distance and to see more of the island. Toka has about 200 something people, just a little smaller than Ebon. It's a little disappointing that Tokay is too far away so we can't really do any work there. Toka only has the Protestant Church there and doesn't know about the Mormon Church too much. We now have food which is a lot better. Our flour isn't maggot infested. The store I went to in Tokay was out of flour but luckily they old us one of their own. 

Thursday, August 27th was my year mark so Ayala and I went to the uk to burn a shirt. Funny story, Emi and Russell borrowed Saratov Approach and Emi asked why in the movie the Elders got drunk and burned a shift. Crazy to think it's been over a year since you've dropped me off at the MTC. The year has been long at some parts but generally seems really quick. It just feels like I've been out here forever; I guess it's been more than half my time in the Marshall Islands. To be honest I was a little hesitant about leaving. I was a bit dubious about all of it and the months before I left were pretty hard. When i was taking the Book of Mormon classes I would unintentionally end up on anti-Mormon websites while I was doing homework and never read too much in the Book of Mormon (explains why I didn't do so well). However I new I had the responsibility to serve a mission and be an example to others. I have now read the Book of Mormon twice and I am currently reading it in Marshallese. I can now say without a doubt that it's true and the church is true. I never told you guys before because I didn't want you guys to worry. I would not have been able to be here if it weren't for your examples. Mother, I'll always remember that before I left you said, "I wouldn't be sending you if I didn't know this was absolutely true." It was very hard to leave but it was one of the best decisions I have made. I love you all and am thankful for all your love and support.

"I do know that whosoever shall put their trust in God shall be supported in their trials, and their troubles, and their afflictions, and shall be lifted up at the last day." Alma 36:3

Love,
Elder Spencer Matthew Weenig

P.S. I still have not missed a week of writing to you or a day in my journal

No comments:

Post a Comment