Monday, August 17, 2015

Ebon Month 6: Weeks 26-27

August 10th

September 10th. That is the day The Mission Office told me that both Elder Ayala and myself will be leaving Ebon. We will see...I'm not sure I can do another month here I feel like I already lost my sanity. The work here is not going at all. The three worthy members (Amy, Russell, and Mercy) will all be leaving on the boat in the upcoming week. Very few people come to church. I have lost my mind to add onto that. I cannot sleep anymore, I'm irritated all the time-it's like every single noise gives me a headache. I feel all the time like people are screaming at one another, children yelling, dogs barking. Nelly who lives not even give feet away just got a tiny puppy who cries all the time and also has another dog who's always barking. The people around us always yell at their children to come and that they'll beat them. I am exhausted but then when I try to sleep I am unable. The majority of last week I was woken up Jeluke repeating my name over and over, "Weenig, Weenig...Weenig," asking to use our bicycle. At this point Ayala and I don't do weekly planning much less daily planning because it's too depressing. There's no one to see on the island and I need to get off.

Mercy, one of our members is planning to go to Majuro so she can then travel to go to the temple in Hawaii. She will be coming back to Ebon but probably not until next year. Amy and Russell are planning to emigrate to Sacramento. One of Amy's brothers lives there and both want to be there and prepare to go to the temple. Because our members will be leaving I see no point ot have Elders still here because there will not be anyone at church. I am really glad that the members are preparing for temple blessings but once they are gone I'll lose my mind even more.

Things weren't so bad last week. I think hearing the news Tuesday stressed me out. I was expecting to leave soon and then find out I'll be here another month. A lot of missionaries are going home and we don't have enough English speakers in the upcoming intakes. I am guessing by the end of 2015 there will only be 20 some elders in the Marshall Islands. For that reason, a few of the outer islands will also close down. It is bittersweet knowing Ebon will not have elders for a while but the work for now is done the investigators and members who worked are reaping the benefits. In a way it's also symbolic that those members who strived gained the benefits while those who did not have nothing. Like the 10 virgins, only 5 were prepared to go greet the bridegroom.

I am trying to figure out for what reason I'm still out here but I can't. I know that people are blessed for enduring tribulation. I am reading in the Doctrine and Covenants and see that theme time after time. However it's been too long out here. Most elders only got to outer for 4 months. I'm planning to come back sooner but we will know Tuesday when I ask. I guess whatever is the will of God.

Love,
Elder Spencer M. Weenig

P.S. My mission was planning to bring me back to Majuro and fly directly to another island of Ujae (I'm a little relieved).

August 17th

Still out here in Ebon. I feel like I've been here so long I don't know what to do. My sanity is gone and to be honest I don't see a point in writing this letter. I do remember when I was being set apart the Stake President said I should share the good things as well as the bad.

I figured I've hit the worst part and that it can only get better. The plane is starting to fly in Ebon again, this week there was the first one in over a month. The boat that's supposed to have a lot of people coming back on it and food isn't here yet. It was supposed to be here last week and there's no news about it. Ayala and I have run out of a lot of food (flour, soy sauce, oil) and so now in a day I'll have rice and tuna in one meal an dramen the other. There's no one to study with. We've told the investigators that to continue studying they have to start coming to church. That anti-Christ I told you earlier about flew out so we have people at church again. Earlier today I had Toujen, on of the less actives, asking about him going to the temple. He asked if he paid tithing if he could go. I replied that he needs to clean up his life-come to church, marry his girlfriend, etc. I guess it's good he understnads temple blessings but he doesn't even understand basic stuff. Because lal Marshallese are Christinan they know what they shoud be doing but continue to live in sin. I feel like I need to shake the dust off my feet towards these people.

My patience is lost with almost everyone. Ayala has been especially irritatin and is kind of rude. He'll ask me why i do things a certain wasy or corrects bme because it's not his wasy or how he would do. Basically the kid is very stubborn. Companions on the outer islands are a lot tougher. I Majuro there's P-days, exchanges, things to do even. Here it's you and your companion and that's it. I'ts almost a contradictin grelatinoship because your companion is your best friend ut also the one tha tcan drive you craziest.

I'm hungry and tired of eating the same things and ma ready to be in Majuro whre I don't have to worry about church, can eat more kinds of food, and can email you guys.

In Doctrine and Covenants 103:12 "For after much tribulation as i have said unto you in a former cmmandment, cometh the blessing." I know these expreiences are making me strong, helpin gbuild my character and be more Christlike. I know I am blessed but stressed.

Love, your insane child,
S. Weenig






No comments:

Post a Comment