Sunday, October 4, 2015

September 27, 2015: Air Conditioning and American Food

Another week back in Majuro. I can now drink cold water without my teeth hurting! I have gotten sick a few times this week just because of being in air conditioning and getting used to eating American food. This week has been a bit hard Elder Joel and I both new to the area of Laura and are working on finding new investigators. 
   We have been working on doing finding a bit this week. It can be difficult at times just because the Church has been in the Marshall Islands for so long on such a small island the majority of people have been exposed to it. There's quite a few less actives and a lot of people have studied with the missionaries at one point. Tuesday while walking around we started talking to this older lady Asako, in her 70's, it was great we had a nice discussion with her and taught her the restoration and she responded really well and was really touched by the spirit that she cried when she gave the closing prayer. Friday when we went back to teach her again she couldn't remember anything from the last lesson and basically anything that had just happened asking us the same questions multiple times. She's a sweet old lady but I am pretty sure she suffers from bad memory loss. Another guy called Joel and I over one day and as talking to us for a while and when asked to study he responded to come back the next day. The next day we couldn't find him and when asking about him everyone said he was a drunk and was most likely drunk the day that I talked to him. I am working hard to stay motivated with the work but can be a bit hard with no people to teach. 
   Another thing I really enjoy about being back in Majuro is going to church. I don't know if you guys realized it but the Elders have to run the church in the outer islands so a lot of times I had to speak on Sundays as well as teach primary and bless he sacrament. I can't explain how nice it is to be back in church and not have to worry about anything just being able to sit and listen and feel the spirit. In the Laura ward we do have a senior couple that comes to church that I am translating for each week. It's nice I am at the point where I understand Marshallese people besides a few words here and there. Translating can be a bit difficult because the people just keep going and so you have to listen and translate at the same time but in enjoy it and helps me to pay better attention in church and improve on my Marshallese. Class on Sunday was really funny because the woman teaching asked at one point what we need in our homes and told none of the women to answer, the man went off listing things like windows, doors, cars, fridges... finally some guy answered the Priesthood. I thought it was just a really funny experience that I wanted to share with you guys. 
   Also just for a spiritual thought this week I want to share with you guys that we do have the Priesthood today as one of the many gifts of the restoration. That with it we can work and do miracles in the name of Jesus Christ. In the Marshall Islands the healthcare isn't the best so I have been able to give blessings to quite a bit of sick people. I know that with the Priesthood like the Holy Ghost can guide our families and homes to do God's work and to do his will. I am very grateful to know that the Priesthood I hold comes from a direct line in my family back to the Joseph Smith, John the Baptist, The Apostles Peter, James, and John and our savior Jesus Christ. This church is the restored church of Jesus Christ from his life and in the days of Adam. I wanted to share these things with you in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.  

P.S. The Doctrine and Covenants and Pearl of Great Price have been translated to Marshallese and are available online and in a few weeks we'll have printed copies. 

Things have been okay not too great we're trying to find investigators but the previous elders in the area had girlfriends hang out at the house at night so the people don't trust the elders to much right now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment