Saturday, December 12, 2015

December 7, 2015: Ebeye

Ebeye is definitely my favorite area and so I'm hoping I'll be here longer than 5 weeks like the majority of the places I worked before. Highlights of the week is my new companion flew in, checked out an old rusted out ship, have gotten fat in a matter of days, and have constantly been asked why I dye my hair. 
   Friday my companion flew in from Ebeye as well as another elder and a brand new sister. Right now I'm the only white person in my district and all the other elders are from Vanuata. My district is way cool though, now I get to do lessons every Wednesday. My companion is Elder Soromon, 22, and only came six weeks after I did to the Marshall Islands. He's a good kid, enjoys listening to the Frozen soundtrack daily so that can be a little much sometimes. I'm excited just an elder that wants to go out and work hard. 
   Well I've already gained a bit of weight since being here. Quite a bit of the members work in Kwajalein and so they bring over subway and pizza now and then. As well as a bunch of other good food just little stuff. Helps to mix it up from the basic rice and chicken or fish. Also the area is small and we visit members daily so we get fed up to 4 times a day. 
   Tuesday is now my p-day and we went down to an old boat. The place is called Gucci Gue and it's a 5 mile walk on this big dirt path. I was able to be out in the sun all day and got pretty burnt so now I'm peeling all the time and my hair got pretty sun bleached. Kids ask me all the time why I color my hair. One person told me I'm a missionary and I'm not allowed to do that. It's pretty fun just because they don't understand that my hair is naturally blonde. 
  Quite a few Christmas celebrations happening this week. Had a parade the other night. Christmas tree lighting or an attempt as one as they tried to make a random pine tree look like a Christmas tree. Cleaned my house and put some Christmas lights up by my bed so I'm feeling the Christmas season. 
 Sunday was my first time going to church in Ebeye. I was able to share all three hours of church so it was good but a little exhaustive. In sacrament it was fast and testimony meeting so they had the missionaries come up and bear their testimonies. The second hour Soromon and out found out that we are the the new member class teachers so had a fun improv lesson. Third hour they called on me again in Elder's quorum to teach yet again. In the lesson I taught about dispensations and how all the things in this church are not new but from before the world and in the days of Adam and life of Jesus Christ. The fact that the gospel of Jesus Christ of faith, repentance, baptism, receiving the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end has always been the same. That children when there is priesthood are baptized at 8 years of age. It's pretty cool to be able to teach a group of old men 40+ years. Well hope everyone is enjoying the beginning of this Christmas season. 
Elder Weenig

No comments:

Post a Comment