Monday, March 28, 2016

March 14

Sorry for not writing. My new companion was pretty lazy when he first got here to Ebeye but, now work is back to normal. Have a solid set of investigators and keeping finding more and more. 
  Elder Kim can get on my nerves a lot and is always talking and it can be hard for him to stay quiet. He's constantly on his ukulele singing made up songs and it honestly drives me insane. He wastes time a lot especially during the morning in our studies. I called him out one morning because he was playing on his ukulele and I asked him when the last time he read the scriptures and he couldn't even remember. He's gotten better though and because work has improved it makes it easier to put up with him. The main reason that I didn't work last week was pretty slow and my companion wasn't making it better. Right now we have about 4 couples were studying with and about 3 youth. Another problem work was so slow is that we were kind of in between investigators but we've been able to start with a lot more. 
   Our President came last weekend and talked a lot about setting goals and giving baptismal dates. Honestly I am not very good at giving baptismal dates and just let them be ready instead of really trying to help them progress and work towards that date. However we actually had a few of our investigators ask us about working towards a goal date to help push them more. Also we were able to watch a missionary broadcast and it helped me a lot with helping less actives. Most of the time with visiting less actives my companions and I just go visit and talk to them. The broadcast really helped us to understand to treat them as people who have just started studying and reteaching the lessons. We have started teaching quite a few less actives families and helping a lot of the men press forward to recieve the Melchezidek Priesthood. 
   Rayna and Randa, Joel and Renny's little sisters have started taking the lessons too and coming to church. My favorite is we'll teach them, Renny, Joel, and Gibson all at one time. Gibson is their 5 little brother who doesn't really understand the difference between testimony and prayer. We've taught their dad a lesson but he's always busy so slowly get the whole family involved. 
  Sonny is ready to be baptized this Saturday. Way cool to see how far he's come. He was talking about how shy he used to be not able to say a prayer in the lessons to just having a bunch of friends from seminary and church. What's really great is that he has a lot of friends that are getting more interested in the church. He told us how a lot of his friends are asking about him and he's invited like all his friends to his baptism. So hopefully we'll be able to pick up a lot more investigators. 
  Rusen is good. We got his daughters to start studying with the sisters so most likely we will get them baptized at the same date. 
   There was a story I read the book I'm reading, Crucible of Doubt, about a young missionary who wrote home to his mother feeling he needed to return from his mission because he didn't have a strong enough testimony. The Elder's mother responded "stop praying on your knees and start praying on your feet." I feel this is one of the most powerful statements is that our testimonies are often strengthened by helping oftens. Often prayers are not answered clearly as we think they should but rather by others. I feel I've never had a distinct answer or voice I've felt but, because of teaching others the gospel and seeing how it changes their lives my testimony is greatly strengthened. 

Love you thanks for your support 
Elder Weenig


S. Weenig

No comments:

Post a Comment