Tuesday, February 23, 2016

February 22, 2016: Lots of Baptisms

This week we were able to have 3 young men baptized in our area and 7 throughout all of Ebeye. Really great to see how much the gospel changes and blesses people's life's. Also Elder Soromon will be leaving and I'm sad about that but I will be working with Elder Kim which started his mission the same time as me.
  One of the kids Junior who got baptized was about to quit going to school and hadn't got at all the beginning of the week. So I told him Wednesday that if he didn't go to school he's not going to seminary and should wait to get baptized. Corrected the kid right away and he went back to school the very next day. There's quite a few kids that just don't go to school. Sometimes they'll tell us thinking that they're so cool. I've realized how essential education is those kids that don't go to school waste their lives and at young ages of 14 and 15 are drinking, smoking, and pregnant. I saw a 9 year old quit smoking, I wanted to go smack him but another kid beat me to it. Broke my heart to see how lost some of these people are. 
  The other kids that got baptized Renny and Joel are brothers. The older one has been coming to seminary for the past 3 weeks. As we studied with them we found out that their mom was a member. Hopefully we'll start teaching their mom and dad but they're dad drives a taxi so is working everyday. Had Gigi one of the girls in our ward baptized as well. We studied with her when we first got to Ebeye because she told us she was 9 then her mother told us she was only 7. This week her mother corrected herself and realized she was 8 and got interviewed with the branch president and baptized. Way cute to see her bear her testimony after her baptism. Back when we were studying with her she was always shy about praying and bearing her testimony so it's cool to see how great she was. One of the sister's investigators told me a really neat story when I interviewed him for baptism. He told me how he had a dream with 3 angels standing at his door and then he woke up. A few days later his daughter came with the sister missionaries and began lessons with him. 
  P-Day Tuesday Elder Waniel and I went to go do a little service by helping one of the members get her things on the boat returning to outer island. It was the MP Kwajalein, the nostalgia hit me so hard, the same one I was on for 12 days coming back from Ebon. It may have been one of the strangest experiences; this boat once so massive now clearly put into proportion as a tiny boat less then a couple hundred feet. I'm not sure how I'll be able to conduct myself whence returning to America. My mom emailed saying how she bought an 18 foot couch for the house and I think that it's longer than the length of my house. 
  Started with some great investigators this week. The one that's a youth is already going to seminary. Also began teaching this Marshallese guy who can't even speak the language because he grew up in Hawaii. So different teaching people in English I have to think about what I say instead of just letting it pour out as it is with Marshallese. Elder Soromon as well as the senior missionaries, the Schaffers are leaving soon. Sunday we had a farewell for them at the church and I think Sister Lafaele was playing 'God be with until we meet again' for over half an hour. It's been fun working with Elder Soromon really great hard working kid. Down to earth but I know I'll probably see him in a few months back in Majuro. 
   Alma 34:28 And now behold, my beloved brethren, I say unto you, do not suppose that this is all; for after ye have done all these things, if ye turn away the needy, and the naked, and visit not the sick and afflicted, and impart of your substance, if ye have, to those who stand in need--I say unto you, if ye do not any of these things, behold, your prayer is vain, and availeth you nothing, and ye are as hypocrites who do deny the faith. 29 Therefore, if ye do not remember to be charitable, ye are as dross, which the refiners do cast out, (it being of no worth) and is trodden under foot of men. I have been hearing news now and then about how the church policy is effecting people, even causing suicide among a several young people. Just remember that charity, the pure love of Christ is the most important aspect of being a Christian being a child of God. That in reality if you're not a loving person no matter how pious you may be it doesn't matter. Salvation comes to those and will be determined of our relationship with others how much we strive to be like our savior Jesus Christ. It can be difficult at times but we must see everyone as our Heavenly Father sees them; not as they are but what they can become. 

Love you all, 6 more months and staying strong 


S. Weenig

No comments:

Post a Comment