Sunday, January 25, 2015

January 18th, 2015: Homesick and I May Have a Girlfriend

The beginning of this week was pretty tough. Monday night we had two lessons with people one we studied with this woman and her brother and they kept asking a bunch of questions and things about Joseph Smith and the Church. It was our first times studying so it was pretty tough. They came from an outer island of Kili so they speak insanely fast and I could not understand anything they were saying. Also the other lesson we had Monday night the investigator, a 16 year old girl, was just trying to flirt with my companion and I the whole time and was not paying attention. This week I had a really funny experience where I was like talking to these two 12 year old something girls and one just mumbled in English "you're beautiful" it was really funny and I was trying to not laugh at them the rest of the conversation. Another funny experience is that we studied with a recent convert's friend and her friend the first lesson, we just studied about prayer and the Godhead, when we asked the recent convert to share she goes off "I know Joseph Smith is a prophet, Thomas S. Monson, the Book of Mormon are true." I was thinking that her friend was going to be confused but, when we asked if she had any questions she was like "no I'm good." Another great think is we found out a couple were studying with planned a marriage date but on April 27th. It's good because basically everyone Marshallese person just lives together and I have met very few who are actually married. It can be difficult because we can't baptize a lot of people until they get married first. So I am really happy they have a date but that means they can't get baptized for like another 3 months or so. It was amazing week with a lot of funny experiences. 

Although the week was really great but I  still have bad times. I can sometimes feel homesick and the last thing I want to do is speak to Marshallese people. But it just pushes me to work harder and to try and forget about my own needs. In Alma it tells the story of Alma and his friends' missions. in Alma 28:8 it states "And this is the account of Ammon and his brethren, their journeyings in the land of Nephi, their sufferings in the land, their sorrows, and their afflictions, and their incomprehensible joy, and the reception and safety of the brethren in the land of Jershon. And now may the Lord, the Redeemer of all men, bless their souls forever." Missions can make you have "incomprehensible joy" but there are still times when you feel down. On your mission you kind of develop a bipolar attitude sometimes you're great so happy to be here and other times you just want to go home and sleep all day. Although my mission has been pretty great and I love it I still experience being down. Our mission president said "a missionary that works hard is a happy missionary." I know as I continue to work hard I will see blessings. 








No comments:

Post a Comment