Monday, December 29, 2014

Christmas 2014

I hope everyone had a great Christmas. It was really hard this year to be away from my family but Christmas in the Marshall Islands was really great. Some Elders were talking about how it will never feel like Christmas here because there is no snow. I couldn't really relate because I think it matters more about what you make out of Christmas. I really did was able to feel the spirit of Christmas and the love from everyone in the Marshall Islands and at home.  
   Christmas Day my companion Elder Lesser and I woke up and opened up some presents and then headed to the Stake Center to watch the Beat. Beat is a bunch of dances and songs performed by all the wards Christmas Day. Beat starts around 9-10 in the morning and will go to 10-11 at night. The stake center was packed with all the ward members that had practiced since the beginning of November and were so excited to show off to the other wards. There was not a beat done by the missionaries this year but, watching was really fun. Hopefully next year I will be in the big island again and have a dance for the missionaries. 
   Christmas Day we also had all the missionaries on the island go eat lunch at the Mission President's and watch Saratov Approach. The whole time I was just so grateful that I have the opportunity to serve in possibly the safest place in the world. Guns are illegal here and alcohol is also prohibited in a lot of parts of the islands. This Christmas was great for me because it really allowed me to focus on the spiritual aspect of all of it. The birth of Jesus Christ, his ministry, and his death and suffering. I am really grateful that we have a holiday to focus on all of that and just be really grateful for all the things that Christ has done for us and that God had given us. 
   This week I have also found out that my Bishop was in Fiji the same time I was last summer. I never was able to meet him but he said how he met the other HEFY group in the Suva side. It was pretty cool the bishop of Delap is the best. Possibly because his wife works so he has full time to devout to being a bishop. Also I was almost hit by falling breadfruit this week so that good have been bad. Breadfruit is this pretty gross fruit that kind of tastes like bland potatoes but like a really squishy texture. 
   This week I was also feeling a little bit unmotivated and really homesick but I just kept pushing through the day. It can be really discouraging to go to a set appointment and have the investigator be gone. However a "set appointment" is not really a thing here it's more like just showing up to an investigator's house at one point in the day. Whenever I feel unmotivated and I start to think about the scripture 2nd Nephi 2:11 talking about iniquity in all things. But because of the bad times we can more greatly appreciate the good in our life. I read this week how Satan works incredibly hard to regress the work of the righteous. I know that I came on a mission to do good in the world and I know the devil is trying hard to put bad thoughts in my head to make me discouraged. I recite the "Nothing exists outside of God. Now go and kick the devil's ass" throughout the day and helps me with motivation. I know that the good in the world is stronger than the bad and we will have bad thoughts and just want to quit; jobs, responsibilities, friendships, missionary work, or life, however just remember to keep pushing and think about all the good you are doing and all the blessings you have rather than dwelling on the bad in yourself. Love You All. Now go and kick the devil's ass.







No comments:

Post a Comment