Tuesday, November 18, 2014

November 18, 2014: Alma 37:37

Thank You all so much for the emails! I get really excited about being able to read them and it gives you a lot of joy and that extra little boost for the week. This week was absolutely great! We were supposed to be going out fishing with the bishop today but they are doing canoe races in the lagoon so we couldn’t but hopefully next week. The bishop for the Delap ward is awesome, he and his wife fed us Saturday night. It was way good, rice, fried chicken and raw tuna. Tuna in Marshallese is called “bwebwe” which is also the same word for crazy. I have adapted to the Marshallese culture, I eat rice all the time with my hands and sit cross legged and I have started doing fades in my hair to fit in. The kids thing its way funny and also asks me who cut my hair. Sometimes this place can be like “Lord of the Flies” little kids running around, half of them completely naked. The little boys will come up and like “fight” you and all the little kids love running up to us and giving high fives. It’s way cool we are like rockstars to them here in the Marshall Islands. This one little toothless five year old always comes up to me “Elder Waini!” They are adorable I also enjoy when some kids yell “RiPella” or “White Person” so I just yell back “RiMajol.” The Delap ward has started a sign up list for feeding the missionaries so we will be getting fed every other night. All they can really feed you is a bunch of rice and some kind of meat so you get full pretty fast. It is a struggle to finish my food sometimes because of all the rice. The red meat still hurts my stomach but I am starting to adjust to it. I just am having a way good time, I can’t believe it coming up on three months I feel like I left a week ago. I am reading in Alma right now and it is really great because it talks a lot about missionary work. In Alma 37:37 it talks about daily prayer “Counsel with the Lord in all thy doings, and he will direct thee for good; yea, when thou liest down at night lie down unto the Lord, that he may watch over you in your sleep; and when thou risest in the morning let thy heart be full of thanks unto God; and if ye do these things, ye shall be lifted up in at the last day. “ In Marshallese “Pepe ippan Irooj ilo aolep komman ko am, im Enaaj tol eok nan aenomman; aet, ne kwoj babu ilo bon kwon babu nan Irooj, bwe En maron onaaked eok ilo am kiki; im ne kwoj jerkak ilo jibon burom en obrak kon kammoolol ko nan Anij; im elanne kwoj komman men kein, naaj kotak eok ilo raan aliktata.” I just love being able to have time for my testimony to grow out here. I have also believe this church is true but I didn’t really know much about and that strong. I know that this is one of the greatest things I will do with my life so I try to make everyday count. 
P.S. The adults here started calling me “Elder Wanik” or “Elder Pure”

No comments:

Post a Comment